Doing my small little part to cheer up someone, somewhere and sometime.

Thursday, January 27, 2005

Miracles do happen - Part 2

Where was I?? Ah yes I was in the hospital. At first doctor said I am quite a borderline Juvenile Diabetes b'cos I am 25 but my suddenly high blood glucose level is neither a Type 2 scenario. So he tried to prescribe oral medication instead of insulin jabs.

So for 2 days I was monitored and took my pills. I was pricked 6 times a day to test for blood sugar level. Pre-meal and post-meal for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It was bad.....my emotions ran from thank God I am alive to asking God why? why me? why at this age?

Then after 3 days the doctor said, I was not responding to oral medications so I had to go on insulin jabs for the rest of my life.....twice a day.....morning and night.....then I could almost feel my life dim.....into darkness........it was almost unbearable.....

Taking jabs daily for the rest of my life.....my life will be controlled by the small bottle of insulin that needs to be refrigerated and taken care of.....never before have I understood freedom any better.

It meant that I couldn't:-

1. Work crazy hours to advance my career. I need my jabs by dinner time.
2. Eat any food I like. My sugar level will hit thru the roof.
3. Just wake up and decide to work out. I need to jab myself first and have a snack first for fear of hypoglycemia.
4. Go out with friends for meals at will. I need to jab myself first for fear of hyperglycemia.

Well.....life as I knew it for 25 years will change forever.....and yes I cried a lot thinking about it and I was bordering on depression.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home