Doing my small little part to cheer up someone, somewhere and sometime.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Scams, scams and more scams

Some how I dunno why I always get targeted for scams....maybe I look stupid and easy target???

Let's see how many times:-

1. Mines Shopping center - 1 of the unknown electrical shop.
2. Puchong - 1 Japan-sounding company.
3. LRT - Taman Jaya.
4. HSBC - Puchong, outside the bank but they have been very active there for past 1 or 2 months.


Modus Operandi
Step 1 - Approach you and mention either of these:-

1. Congrats you are our lucky draw participant.
2. You have been selected for a survey.
3. We are doing a market research for a company.


Step 2 - Lucky draw ticket, 1 of these:-

1. Scrap and win ticket.
2. Perforatted letter like those you get for your PIN number from the bank.
3. Lucky draw ticket from a box or something.


Step 3 - The setup, 1 of these:-

1. 2 or more accomplice will do the "Anugerah Pelakon Terbaik" attempt to look surprise when you "get" a lucky draw price. Let's see what have I got before - fridge, home theatre systems, microwave, house, TV, Perdana and air-con.....
2. The 1st guy will look puzzled at your ticket and pretend to ask a "senior" or " manager" and they will tell you, this is the 1st time such grand prize has been picked by people.


Step 4 - The big bait, 1 of these:-

1. You have to buy up to a few thousand RM to be in the running for the grand price.
2. You have to purchase a few thousand RM to "claim" the lucky draw.
3. You have to follow them back to their office in order to do some paper work. (LRT & HSBC)

That's when I scoot off.....the moment they mention RM or need to pay.....my chinaman instinct kicks in and my kiasuism goes into overdrive. There was once where they threathen me that I have to pay for something because I have scratched the card or something and I say I will check with the police and Kementerian Hal Ehwal Pengguna and they just let me off.

So now I always ask wifey, wanna see some actor wannabe at work whenever we come across such scams.

cheers - chips

1 Comments:

Blogger Chipmunkrock said...

wow so many times! i've never encountered in KL before although I have been approached with similar technique in S'pore. They asked us to go for some seminar after "winning the lucky draw" to redeem the prize but i reckoned it was fishy anyway.

9:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home