Doing my small little part to cheer up someone, somewhere and sometime.

Monday, August 22, 2005

Sen sen oh my 1 sen

I am not too sure what caused me to do it maybe stupidity, maybe a sudden rush of upholding the rules or maybe just plain stubborness.

On Sunday, after dropping my sister off for work, I proceeded to purchase "paus" for my breakfast. It was RM 2.20. Having quite a few 1 sen in my wallet, I proceeded to give the owner 2 X RM 1 note , a 10 sen coin a 5 sen coin and 5 X 1 sen coins. To my horror he wouldn't accept them, saying that even if he has them, they would be thrown away. So there were a few exchanges of words and finally he said, "I am the one who decided the rule of not accepting 1 sen coins" and proceeded to return the money to me and I returned the "paus" to him.

I guess I will just have to give the "paus" a miss then. And all I could do was to bring my business somewhere else. Then I think again, where can I use 1 sen coins without hassle? I shall be trying it out and let you know later. So far the hypermarkets are quite ok.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chipmunkrock said...

it's still legal tender la..is it up to RM1 or RM2 worth?

9:34 PM

 
Blogger jesscet said...

Yeah i know what u mean! I kena this all the time. You know, a few years back, I was silly enough to collect one sen coins in my piggy bank..I think I counted a few hundreds of them. Finally had to take the trouble to go to bank to exchange for cash..but i heard banks also don't like to accept 1 sen coin now?

So now, I would try to SPEND my one sen as much as i can.. besides super and hypermarket, one place that they won't reject is the toll plaza. Most of us use Touch n Go but once in a while if not in a rush, try giving 5 or 10 one sen coins at tolls. So far in my experience, i have not been rejected but maybe given a dirty look.. haha

I know this sounds cheapskate but if you give donations on the streets, can always put in a few 1 sen coins. But not JUST the 1 sen coins la...with some notes and bigger coins of course ;)

Another thing I really hate is when a shop/restaurant etc..short change you by a few sen. I know it's small value but that is not the way to do business or treat your customers. If they have no 1 sen coins, they should let customers earn one or two sens instead.

I know a few places practise this good policy.

Oops, looks like I have too much to say on this 1 sen topic! p

12:34 AM

 
Blogger fatboybakes said...

yar, in superman III or IV, a hacker got very rich just by channelling all the USD 0.001 or whatever it was, to his bank account, from millions of accounts all over the world. you SHOULD ask for you 1 sen change from burger king. AND, fatchips, you should have told the pau man that 5 x 1 sen is VERY MUCH legal tender, and he can be jailed for not accepting it. Can ah?

11:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home